Naturopathy is based on the theory that diseases that do not need surgery can be successfully treated without the use of drugs. Through techniques that are non-invasive like control of diet, exercise, and therapeutic massages
A treatment plan is formulated based on a person’s condition, medical history, diet, lifestyle, pathological testing, and any conventional treatments they may be taking. Naturopathy has its own concepts of health and disease and also principles of treatment.
History of Naturopathy
The Greek philosopher Hippocrates believed in viewing the whole person in regards to finding a cause of disease and using the laws of nature to induce a cure. The Hippocratic School of Medicine first used the principles of naturopathy in about 400 BC.
Benedict Lust, who trained in hydrotherapy and other natural therapies in Germany, established it in the US and became the nominated Father of Naturopathy.
Dr Hermann Keppler (a German homoeopath) established the first College of Natural Medicine in London in 1998. With his additional specialist skills in nutrition, herbal medicine, acupuncture as well as iridology, Chinese diagnosis, tissue salts, and flower remedies he was able to offer a truly naturopathic treatment.
Treatment Methods in Naturopathy
The primary cause of disease, barring accidental or surgical injury to the human organism and surroundings hostile to human life, is a violation of Nature’s laws. Below are the naturopathy methods that are applicable in the prevention and management of most disorders.
- Return to Nature by the regulation of eating, drinking breathing, bathing, dressing, working, resting, thinking, moral life, sexual and social activities, etc. establishing them on a normal and natural basis.
- Elementary remedies, such as water, air, light, earth cures, magnetism, electricity, etc.
- Chemical remedies, such as scientific food selection and combination, homoeopathic medicines, simple herb extracts and the veto chemical remedies
- Mechanical remedies, such as corrective gymnastics, massage, magnetic treatment, structural adjustment and in cases of accident, surgery.
- Natural and spiritual remedies, such as scientific relaxation, normal suggestion, constructive thought, the prayer of faith etc.